Showing 1 - 10 of 10 , query time: 0.02s
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Clyde Lloyd on far left with three cowboys at the Lloyd Ranch; cattle are behind the riders. Stamp on back of photo: Quality Photo Finishing Ping's Service Station Eagle, Colorado
Cover Image
Format:
Image
David Marion "Skeet" Koger, standing in the rain next to the old Jesse Sherman house. Photo printed April 11, 1940 at Ping's Station. "He arrived in Eagle County in 1899 and was first employed in the now nonexistent Hockett Sawmill on Hardscrabble south of Eagle. Within the next few years following, Skeet worked around Eagle vicinity, joining the Sherman Brothers Red Mountain Ranch east of Eagle in the early 1900s, becoming a permanent member of...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"The Lloyd house was considered one of the most beautiful ranch homes on the Western Slope and was something of a showplace. Ella Lloyd was hosting a party of ladies at a bridge luncheon in October 1936 when a fire was discovered in the attic. When the fire alarm was sounded, about half the men in town showed up to fight the fire. Because the inner walls of the building were made of cement block, the fire burned slowly, and the men and women were...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Three cowboys in a corral at the Lloyd Ranch, working horses. Hay rick in the background
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"The Lloyd brothers pose with fellow cowboys at Red Mountain Ranch. Carl Lloyd Jr. (son of Carl) is third from left, and Clyde (C.F.) Lloyd is third from right. There was also a third Lloyd brother, Frank." -- Early Eagle, by Kathy Heicher p.90 The group is standing in front of the iconic white barn, still in place today (2010).
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Studio portrait of Jesse Sherman and Gertrude Miller Sherman. They were married in Leadville in 1897. Gertrude Sherman was Jim Nimon's aunt. "Mr. Sherman and his younger brother, George, owned and operated the Sherman Brothers Dairy and Feed Store in Leadville from 1890 to 1900. In 1901 they purchased the cattle ranch on the Eagle River four miles above Eagle, which was known for many years as the Sherman Brothers Ranch. They were outstanding pioneers...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"Chicago businessman Clyde Lloyd purchased the Sherman Brothers Ranch (east of town) in 1922. He and his stepson Wayne T. Jones called the operation 'Red Mountain Ranch' and were known for annually hosting one of the largest Hereford sales in the state. Clyde's brother and sister-in-law, Carl and Ella, were the caretakers for the ranch. Located about 4 miles east of Eagle, the property featured a magnificent ranch house (which burned to the ground...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The Lloyd Ranch house, possible during a 4th of July celebration. The band is waiting to play by the gazebo.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Photo postcard of the C. F. Lloyd Ranch. The Eagle River is at midfield, in front of the ranch buildings. C. F. Lloyd is written on the barn roof. ”Chicago businessman Clyde Lloyd purchased the Sherman Brothers Ranch (east of town) in 1922. He and his stepson Wayne T. Jones called the operation ’Red Mountain Ranch’ and were known for annually hosting one of the largest Hereford sales in the state. Clyde’s brother and sister-in-law, Carl and...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"Cowboys work steers in a corral at the Lloyd ranch. The ranch brand was a 'Diamond J Bar.' The property is currently the site of the Diamond Star subdivision." -- Early Eagle, by Kathy Heicher, p.89