Showing 1 - 20 of 46 , query time: 0.04s
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Three hunters posed with rifles next to their kill in the snow.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
This plaque is at the Mount of the Holy Cross Overlook, also known as Julia's Deck, on the Shrine Pass Trail. Shrine Pass Road [FSR 709], a maintained dirt road, connects Vail and Red Cliff The first section is Psalm 104:24 and the prayer following is unattributed. Interestingly enough, these same quotations are on plaques at the Grand Canyon and the Bronte Waterfall (England). O Lord, How manifold are Thy works! In wisdom hast Thou made them...
Cover Image
3) Convoy
Format:
Image
Truck convoy negotiating the Old Battle Mountain Road. The original rock supported roadway is clearly visible [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
c.1920: Lover's Leap near Red Cliff, Colorado, with Eagle River in foreground. [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Marker for: "Jose B. O. Martinez, A3C US Air Force, Korea, July 2, 1936--Sept. 25, 2010," in River View Cemetery. Engraved on the marker is Battle Mountain, the Red Cliff Bridge and a hunter.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Photo postcard of U.S. Hwy 24 at the top of Tennessee Pass (Alt. 10,240 ft,) between Leadville and Red Cliff, Colorado. [Sanborn W-1181] There is snow on the ground.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Mount of the Holy Cross Overlook, also known as Julia's Deck, on the Shrine Pass Road [FSR 709], a maintained dirt road, connects Vail and Red Cliff. The overlook was built as handicapped access to the overlook by volunteers representing PAWS, an organization providing recreational facilities for handicapped people. The photo was taken in July 1994. Quinn and Buster Beck are getting a great view of the Mount of the Holy Cross in the Sawatch Range...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Road to Red Cliff with old bridge across the Eagle River before the Red Cliff Bridge was opened in 1941. Battle Mountain is on the left. Photograph is labeled: "Roads end" [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
9) Kilns
Format:
Image
Remains of kiln at Shrine Pass, used to make charcoal for the smelters in Leadville.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Photo postcard showing the "New Battle Mountain Highway," U.S. Hwy 24. The view is looking south, going from GIlman to Red Cliff.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Marker with the Red Cliff bridge engraved on the back.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Red Cliff High School students swimming in Homestake Creek, possibly at Mickey's Hole located about 1.5 miles up Homestake Creek from Red Cliff. "It is a place where the creek curves away from the hillside at a big granite boulder, forming a pool more or less 4 feet deep. The boulder is 6 or 8 feet high and the pool is deep enough to allow a person to jump off the rock into the water and not suffer any permanent injury." -- Bud Beck, 2010
Cover Image
Format:
Image
c.1920: Lover's Leap near Red Cliff, Colorado, with Eagle River in foreground. [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
14) Convoy
Format:
Image
Truck convoy negotiating the Old Battle Mountain Road. The original rock supported roadway is clearly visible. Probably the original image from which the close-up [1984.001.018] was made. [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Perlita Knight [Gauthier] standing at the new Red Cliff bridge on Battle Mountain highway. The dedication was held at noon on Sunday, August 3, 1941. Governor Ralph L. Carr and other officials attended. The bridge and six miles of new highway built over Battle Mountain cost a total of $636,405. The bridge is 470 ft. long, 209 ft. high; the roadbed is 30 ft. wide and has two 18-inch curbs. It is listed on the Historic Bridge Inventory, Colorado Historical...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Railroad overpass on Colorado Highway 24 leading to Red Cliff. This was the route to Red Cliff prior to the construction of the Red Cliff arch bridge. [Red Cliff Bridge Construction photo 1]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Photo postcard showing the Red Cliff Bridge, opened in 1941. A Denver & Rio Grande train is coming from Red Cliff, headed toward Gilman, alongside the very clear Eagle River. At the left is the Lover's Leap cliffs. On the right is the cut in the lower rocks for the road down to Red Cliff. At the center of the photo above the bridge can be seen the tailings from Hornsilver Mine with Butter Flats (clearing) just above that.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Looking down on Red Cliff.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Looking up at Highway 24 on Battle Mountain from the bridge at the end of Water Street. This was prior to the beginning of construction of the Red Cliff Arch Bridge.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The iconic Red Cliff Bridge on U.S. Highway 24, across the canyon of the Eagle River at Red Cliff, Colorado. Completed on July 28, 1941; dedicated and opened to travel on August 3, 1941. Dimensions: 470 ft. long; 209 ft. high; 30-ft. roadway and two 18-inch curbs. The Red Cliff Bridge was entered into the National Register of Historic Places on February 4, 1985, in recognition of its contribution to the heritage of the state of Colorado