Showing 1 - 20 of 41 , query time: 0.02s
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Photo labeled 283449; verso stamp 4400 Forest road through stands of trees. Automobile tire at far right. In 1927, Dr. Randall led Boy Scouts and Campfire Girls up Notch Mountain to see the cross, a trip considered to be the first "pilgrimage." In 1928, another pilgrimage took place and in 1929, President Hoover established the Mount of the Holy Cross Monument. "All these pilgrimages continued to demonstrate the need for a better approach by road...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Photo labeled 283456; verso stamp 4400 Three men choosing trees to fell for the road. In 1927, Dr. Randall led Boy Scouts and Campfire Girls up Notch Mountain to see the cross, a trip considered to be the first "pilgrimage." In 1928, another pilgrimage took place and in 1929, President Hoover established the Mount of the Holy Cross Monument. "All these pilgrimages continued to demonstrate the need for a better approach by road or trail. In 1931 Dr....
Cover Image
Format:
Image
A close up of the roof detail and windows on the shelter house at Notch Mountain. Constructed by the CCC between 1931 and 1933, it was built to provide a respite to those on pilgrimages to see the Mount of the Holy Cross. Caption by O.W. Randall: "Shelter house--has a beautiful fire place and wood always provided on hand for the public."
Cover Image
Format:
Image
MacDonald Knight standing on trailer attached to his jeep. He's looking at lumber in front of an abandoned cabin at Holy Cross City. There are wildflowers in the foreground. "The one picture of Don Knight's jeep shows some boards. Buster [Beck] said there was two piles of boards on this side of Francy Pass. Why & from where he does not know. SInce they are on this side of Fancy Pass he is sure they did not come from the saw mill at Cross Creek."...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Pilgrims listening to services with Mt. of the Holy Cross in the background. Two men face the camera; the one in the lighter suit is Rev. Edmonds.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Aerial photograph taken by Mayo Lanning on February 3, 1998. Mt. of the Holy Cross is visible through the cockpit window; there's enough snow that the cross is not defined.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Caption by O.W. Randall: "8. Before Holy Cross, looking at complete circle of Rainbow Circle Falls, Rev. Edmonds & family." Rev. Edmonds and his family pointing at a rainbow.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
This plaque is at the Mount of the Holy Cross Overlook, also known as Julia's Deck, on the Shrine Pass Trail. Shrine Pass Road [FSR 709], a maintained dirt road, connects Vail and Red Cliff The first section is Psalm 104:24 and the prayer following is unattributed. Interestingly enough, these same quotations are on plaques at the Grand Canyon and the Bronte Waterfall (England). O Lord, How manifold are Thy works! In wisdom hast Thou made them...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
1880: Holy Cross City. Buildings in background are ore processing mill. [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Caption by O.W. Randall: "You can see a piece of the road they built in the foreground. This was when they had taken their tents down." numbered on front; 284583; stamp on verso: 4400 The ranch was located between Cross Creek and Fall Creek on the south side of the Eagle River, southeast of Minturn. The CCC camp was called Camp Tigiwon. Earl Beck was hired by the Forest Service as a foreman for the Civilian Conservation Corps at Camp Tigiwon. His...
Cover Image
11) Tigiwon
Format:
Image
Riders gathering at Tigiwon on their way to Notch Mountain. Dr. O. W. Randall is at center, looking left and wearing glasses. Stamped on back: "Quality BB Print guaranteed not to fade Jul 10 1928"
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Bernard "Spike" Doyle on left and Robert Maloit during the second Holy Cross Pilgrimage (1928). They are at Camp Tigiwon with the large assembly tent and the uncompleted Tigiwon Post Office in the background. The boys were allowed to join the Pilgrimage without being accompanied by an adult. They are standing near Rock Circle, made by the members of the First Pilgrimage by chipping their initials and date on a rock and placing them in this formation....
Cover Image
Format:
Image
A group of Holy Cross pilgrims posed next to a cairn.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Tinted photograph of Mount of the Holy Cross.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Caption: "Camp Tigiwon alt. 10,000 ft. Pilgrimage to the Nount of the Holy Cross. V. T. Brown photo, Denver, Colo." 47 "pilgrims," most on horseback, posing in front of the Camp Tigiwon post office. The Post office was established June 5, 1929 and discontinued September 30, 1942 [from Colorado Post Offices 1859-1989, by Bauer, Osment and Willard, 1990].
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Mount of the Holy Cross Overlook, also known as Julia's Deck, on the Shrine Pass Road [FSR 709], a maintained dirt road, connects Vail and Red Cliff. The overlook was built as handicapped access to the overlook by volunteers representing PAWS, an organization providing recreational facilities for handicapped people. The photo was taken in July 1994. Quinn and Buster Beck are getting a great view of the Mount of the Holy Cross in the Sawatch Range...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Photo labeled 281260; verso stamp 4400 A man driving a tractor is cutting a road through trees. Stacked logs are at left. In 1927, Dr. Randall led Boy Scouts and Campfire Girls up Notch Mountain to see the cross, a trip considered to be the first "pilgrimage." In 1928, another pilgrimage took place and in 1929, President Hoover established the Mount of the Holy Cross Monument. "All these pilgrimages continued to demonstrate the need for a better...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Mount of the Holy Cross in the background with the plaque marking the boulder where William H. Jackson photographed his son, Clarence, and George Beam in 1893. That famous photo is part of the Western History Collection of the Denver Public Library [DPL WHJ-10213]. The plaque reads: "Clarence Jackson was photographed on this boulder in 1893 by his father WILLIAM H. JACKSON, who took the very first picture of the cross on August 23, 1873. This...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Caption: "Holy Cross Mt. lies behind the Notch. One trail goes this way, one this way." A photo of Notch Mountain annotated by O. W. Randall, showing the ascents to the top. At the top, Mount of the Holy Cross can be seen.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Tinted photograph of Mount of the Holy Cross.