Showing 1 - 20 of 22 , query time: 0.03s
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"The Catamount Bridge, looking east, showing the river, river road and railroad with Yarmony Mountain in the right background. The bridge, built in 1909 stood up well until 1951 when a loaded soft drink truck found a weak place and broke through. Fortunately no one was hurt, but the bridge was out about ten days." -- McCoy Memoirs p.18 [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Marker for: "Jose B. O. Martinez, A3C US Air Force, Korea, July 2, 1936--Sept. 25, 2010," in River View Cemetery. Engraved on the marker is Battle Mountain, the Red Cliff Bridge and a hunter.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Road to Red Cliff with old bridge across the Eagle River before the Red Cliff Bridge was opened in 1941. Battle Mountain is on the left. Photograph is labeled: "Roads end" [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Marker with the Red Cliff bridge engraved on the back.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"Looking northwest, going down Battle Mt. about 1.5 miles below Gilman." -- Lucille Riggle The Eagle River is at center; U.S. Hwy 24 crosses the river in the foreground.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"E. Rundell 2 copies 1.50" -- verso Five figures, possibly hiking. A bridge is at midfield.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Perlita Knight [Gauthier] standing at the new Red Cliff bridge on Battle Mountain highway. The dedication was held at noon on Sunday, August 3, 1941. Governor Ralph L. Carr and other officials attended. The bridge and six miles of new highway built over Battle Mountain cost a total of $636,405. The bridge is 470 ft. long, 209 ft. high; the roadbed is 30 ft. wide and has two 18-inch curbs. It is listed on the Historic Bridge Inventory, Colorado Historical...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Railroad overpass on Colorado Highway 24 leading to Red Cliff. This was the route to Red Cliff prior to the construction of the Red Cliff arch bridge. [Red Cliff Bridge Construction photo 1]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Photo postcard showing the Red Cliff Bridge, opened in 1941. A Denver & Rio Grande train is coming from Red Cliff, headed toward Gilman, alongside the very clear Eagle River. At the left is the Lover's Leap cliffs. On the right is the cut in the lower rocks for the road down to Red Cliff. At the center of the photo above the bridge can be seen the tailings from Hornsilver Mine with Butter Flats (clearing) just above that.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Looking up at Highway 24 on Battle Mountain from the bridge at the end of Water Street. This was prior to the beginning of construction of the Red Cliff Arch Bridge.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The iconic Red Cliff Bridge on U.S. Highway 24, across the canyon of the Eagle River at Red Cliff, Colorado. Completed on July 28, 1941; dedicated and opened to travel on August 3, 1941. Dimensions: 470 ft. long; 209 ft. high; 30-ft. roadway and two 18-inch curbs. The Red Cliff Bridge was entered into the National Register of Historic Places on February 4, 1985, in recognition of its contribution to the heritage of the state of Colorado
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Looking down the Eagle River and U.S. Highway 24 as it enters Red Cliff on the south. Just to the left of Hwy 24 is the beginning of the approach road to what will be the Red Cliff Arch Bridge.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"Looking east from a point two miles south of McCoy, showing the former George Brown Ranch in the foreground and the Kibbler place to the right of the river and the Bailey Mesa on the left. Yarmony Mountain is in the right background." -- McCoy Memoirs p.136 [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Pedestrians gathered on the Red Cliff Bridge, Battle Mountain in the background, for the dedication and grand opening. The dedication was held at noon on Sunday, August 3, 1941. Governor Ralph L. Carr and other officials attended. The bridge and six miles of new highway built over Battle Mountain cost a total of $636,405. The bridge is 470 ft. long, 209 ft. high; the roadbed is 30 ft. wide and has two 18-inch curbs. It is listed on the Historic Bridge...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
An unidentified couple is sitting on Lover's Leap (Battle Mountain) with Red Cliff behind them. Starting at the distant hillside behind the couple, we see Vic Dump Woods. Vic Dump had the contract from the Forest Service to cut timber on that hillside. The white "line" on the hillside, is the skid trail. Horses pulled logs to the skid trail where the logs were then sent down the skid trail. At the bottom of the trail, horses were again used to...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Building the approach to the new Red Cliff arch bridge (Highway 24). Digging equipment at far right midfield in the photo. [Red Cliff bridge construction photo 4]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Roadbed construction on the Red Cliff Bridge, silver in color. Lover's Leap is on the right. [Red Cliff Bridge construction photo 12]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Road into Red Cliff, prior to the construction of the Red Cliff Bridge on Hwy 24 (prior to 1941).
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"The New Eagle River Bridge" in Red Cliff, Colorado, 1940.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Red Cliff Bridge on U.S. Highway 24, across the canyon of the Eagle River at Red Cliff, Colorado. Completed on July 28, 1941; dedicated and opened to travel on August 3, 1941. Dimensions: 470 ft. long; 209 ft. high; 30-ft. roadway and two 18-inch curbs. The Red Cliff Bridge was entered into the National Register of Historic Places on February 4, 1985, in recognition of its contribution to the heritage of the state of Colorado Buildings in background...