Showing 21 - 40 of 666 , query time: 0.03s
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Cabin belonging to Charles Fredrick Eichaker at the mineral mill at Cross Creek. The Knight and Beck familes used the cabin at various points in time. "Even had an outhouse"--Angela Beck. [information from Buster Beck] Bill Burnett mentions Charlie Eyacher [sic.] in The Eagle on Battle Mountain at Gilman, Colorado and My Life as I Remember, although Bill locates the cabin at Fall Creek p.7: "Old Charlie had a house on the far side, eastside,...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The Hart mining camp, "Poverty Flats," located on Battle Mountain east of Gilman and just below Bell's Camp. Harry Nottingham was orn in Belles Camp in 1890. There are varous buildings and outbuildings with a group of people gathered together at right midground. It may be a celebration of some sort. [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Verso: "Perlita [on left] & Mary Howard at Powderhorn 1942"
Cover Image
Format:
Image
A view of the Eagle River Gorge, showing Belden at the bottom of the gorge and Gilman on the cliff above the gorge. The Belden tram is in the mid field of the photo. [One of a series of ten photographs included in postal mailer: Frashers Quality Photos, Ten Scenic Views souvenir from Canon City to Leadville, Colo. Frashers, Inc., Pomona, Calif. Required 2 cents postage.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Gypsum Cliffs near Avon and the Offerson Ranch. Inscription: "Gyp Mountain." [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
A close-up view of the Mount of the Holy Cross. The photo was printed July 8, 1932.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Verso: "burro train on Missouri Pass 1939"
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Photo labeled 283456; verso stamp 4400 Three men choosing trees to fell for the road. In 1927, Dr. Randall led Boy Scouts and Campfire Girls up Notch Mountain to see the cross, a trip considered to be the first "pilgrimage." In 1928, another pilgrimage took place and in 1929, President Hoover established the Mount of the Holy Cross Monument. "All these pilgrimages continued to demonstrate the need for a better approach by road or trail. In 1931 Dr....
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Looking north, the Shelter House rock walls are approximately 4' up with the wooden framework visible. The pack horses carrying the framing are at the right in the photo. Construction workers' tent stands to the right of the Shelter House. Man sawing timber is at the far left. Photo is labeled: 281253. [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Photo postcard looking down on Eagle, Colorado. The Eagle River is at lower left; Brush Creek Valley is at right midfield. Highway 6 runs from left to right across the midfield. The County courthouse is the square building at right midfield, placing this photograph after 1932.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
A publicity shot for Vail Associates showing the Vail gondola in the summertime.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"Black Mountain, el. 10,000 and the ranch, shortly after Judge M. Lyle had purchased the property and converted it into a guest ranch." -- McCoy Memoirs, p. 248 [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Photo postcard of Gilman with Belden at the bottom of the Eagle River Canyon. Ore cars are lined up on the tracks and the surface tram is clearly visible. "Eagle River Canyon and Gilman from Battle Mt. Highway Sanborn W-1102"
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The relief map photo used to visualize possible road routes and ascents for Mount of the Holy Cross pilgrimages, without O.W. Randall's annotations. [photographed from a different angle than 2013.009.018-.019, showing the Sawatach Range at left, the Cross Creek drainage, the Holy Cross Ridge, and the Gore Range at far right. Stamped on back: "Quality BB Print guaranteed not to fade Jul 14 1928, 13" The location of the map in this photo is unknown....
Cover Image
Format:
Image
View of the Battle Mountain area from O.W. Randall's ranch with the newly constructed Tigiwon road in the foreground. Photo labeled 284581 on front; stamped 4400 on back.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
A close up of the roof detail and windows on the shelter house at Notch Mountain. Constructed by the CCC between 1931 and 1933, it was built to provide a respite to those on pilgrimages to see the Mount of the Holy Cross. Caption by O.W. Randall: "Shelter house--has a beautiful fire place and wood always provided on hand for the public."
Cover Image
Format:
Image
MacDonald Knight standing on trailer attached to his jeep. He's looking at lumber in front of an abandoned cabin at Holy Cross City. There are wildflowers in the foreground. "The one picture of Don Knight's jeep shows some boards. Buster [Beck] said there was two piles of boards on this side of Francy Pass. Why & from where he does not know. SInce they are on this side of Fancy Pass he is sure they did not come from the saw mill at Cross Creek."...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Boyle Brothers drill on hole PR-7 on Porphyry Ridge above Lower Fulford in the Fulford Mining District.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"This photograph appeared on the inside cover of the 1928 Eagle High School yearbook [Lux Aquilae]. Although there was never a big population of bighorn sheep on Brush Creek, they were known to winter there. The animals could be found in the summer on New York Mountain, Fools Peak, at Nolan Lake and in the Metheney Park area. The sheep population declined in the mid-1950s due to poaching and disease." -- Kathy Heicher, Early Eagle p.121
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Snowy day in winter near Camp Hale. Some unidentified buildings against a mountain backdrop. [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]