Showing 1 - 20 of 23 , query time: 0.03s
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Barbara Clark, Eagle County teacher, with Daisy, the horse, at the Bar-Gay Ranch near Edwards, Colorado (at the mouth of Squaw Creek). Ring, the dog (previously owned by Tom Pearch), is standing next to Mrs. Clark. The Bar-Gay Ranch was originally the Hawley place. Gaylord and Barbara Clark bought the house and outbuildings; the land was a school section which they leased for 99 years.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Snowy day at the Beecher Gulch Place. Dixie the horse in front of barn; dogs, Boots and Rex in front of a 1937 Hudson Terraplane automobile. House in right midground.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"Always referred to as the Harris house, it has had considerable face lifting since the large Harris family occupied it for twenty eight years or from 1917 to 1945. Quite a number of people lived here before and since the Harrises. Earlier residents were the Towers, Porters and Robinsons." -- McCoy Memoirs p.173 [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Photo postcard of the Maxwell place, taken by John Ambos. "Among the very early pioneers of the area were Elliott and Mary Maxwell who located on 160 acres of land at the confluence of the Grand River and Elk Creek, about four miles west of McCoy about 1896. The elevation there was about 6,500 feet, the lowest in the area where most vegetables and some varieties of hardy fruits could be grown." -- McCoy Memoirs p.155 [Title supplied from catalog...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"At the former Groh ranch on Rock Creek above McCoy in 1916 [photo dated 1917]. Here are: George Shepard, John Brooks [Jr.], Jessie [Brooks] Groh and Harry Groh. George, a faithful worker had been associated with the Brooks family for many years." -- McCoy Memoirs p.124 [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The Theisens: Emma, Juanita, Mrs. Mary Theisen, and Marie. Martin and Mary Theisen were married in Denver in 1891. Juanita was born in 1895; Emma in 1897 and Marie in 1902. In 1904, they moved to Routt County and in 1905 they established their own ranch on Congor Mesa. This photo is labeled 1908 but, from the appearance of the girls, it may have been later. --McCoy Memoirs, p.252 Same as 1992.004B.059, second John Ambos album. Only entered...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Joe Dice on Sally, the mare, at the Half-Way barn up Brush Creek. Rex, the dog, is visible under the horse's belly. Joe, ten years old, rode past the barn on his way to school. The Half-Way barn (at the entrance now in 2007 to Sylvan Park) was a stage stop for the Eagle to Fulford stage line. The barn was long with plenty of room and freight wagons could be parked. The teamsters switched horses here and, if necessary, could sleep in the hay.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"Tom Wohler standing in front of his barn in 1912. The Wohler ranch had a first class set of ranch buildings and fences that Tom kept in good repair until a year or so before he passed away." -- McCoy Memoirs, p. 131 "Fritz, Tom and Sarah Wohler came to Colorado from Pennsylvania in 1876 and settled at Leadville for 18 years. Tom was shift boss at the Johnny Mine and Sarah had a dress shop. They were married in Leadville in 1883. In 1895 Tom and...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Two girls and a man on a wagon drawn by a 2-horse team. Dog in foreground. Ping's place in background. "McCollum" written on back of photo. [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Late 1800s, photo is labeled: "Edgar, Curly and I". Minnie Cox is the lady in the photo. No location is given.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Conger Mesa residents standing on the porch of a house; dog in foreground. From left: Cliff and Allie Daniels, Mary and Warren Henry, Frank "Shorty" Strutzel. Found on p. 270 McCoy Memoirs by John Ambos. [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Martha Goodall, standing, is watching her daughter, Alice Goodall, bottle feed a fawn. They are standing in front of the first house built in Eagle, Colorado. There are other structures in the background. Two men are seated in a wagon at the far right. William F. Woods is on the left. Henry C. Goodall, at the far right, is holding snowshoes. Alice was married in this house in 1884 to William Franklin Wood. She was the mother of Robert Woods....
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Monica Barnes, holding deer carcass, with Boyd at left and Darrell at right. The dog is interested. They're at the homestead cabin on Castle. The rules of the homestead act required fence around the property and other improvements. "The fence was built totally by Guy Barnes. Every post hole was dug by hand, every fence post was sawed or chopped from trees on the land and barbed wire (usually four strands) was strung on every fence post. Wooden...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Monica, Darrell and Boyd Barnes, seated in the doorway of the larger cabin at Four Mile (four miles up Eby Creek). Animals in the yard include a calf, dog, and pig.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Jack Elliott (L)and Richard DaLee (R) (grandson and son of Gilbert DaLee) standing in the rain in front of the first house in Red Cliff built by Gilbert DaLee and William Greiner. Deer carcasses from hunting are piled on a sawhorse and a dog is in the left foreground.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Three men seated in a field with 2 dogs in front of the Doll Brothers' Ranch. They are probably members of the Doll family. Lucy Doll wearing coat and shawl, stands behind them. Barns, farmhouse and outbuildings shown with cattle grazing at left background.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"The first cabin built in Red Cliff by Wm. Greiner and G. J. DaLee in 1879. This cabin is still standing and occupied by Jack Elliott." -- History of Eagle County, 1940, p.12 When compared to 2009.005.001, this does appear to be the Greiner/Elliott cabin.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Brothers Jack (L) and George (R) Elliott posing with deer after hunting. The deer are laid out across a saw horse, figles leaning again the carcasses. A dog is in the foreground. The cabin in the background is the first log cabin built in Red Cliff. William Greiner and Gilbert DaLee built it in approximately 1876. Jack would have been 19 years old and George would have been 17 years old in this photo.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"The John Ambos homestead cabin, built in 1903. This photo, taken in 1909, shows Fritz Arendt who was batching in it, his dogs and an assortment of firearms. Fritz, an early day ranch hand, hunter, trapper, Game Warden and poacher left the McCoy area for Utah about 1911 and never returned. The cabin was demolished in 1912 and the salvaged material used for other purposes." --McCoy Memoirs, p. 238 [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Mae Grimes giving a treat to a dog on the porch of the former Elliott Ranch, August 1938. "The Elliott Ranch was held by the Ellis Cattle Company for a few years and the company then sold to Frank Groh and his son, Harry. They transferred it to Jack and Mae Grimes and Ralph Kayser obtained it after Jack died in 1947. The present owner [1977] is Betty Holt." -- McCoy Memoirs p.112 [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical...