Showing 1 - 20 of 151 , query time: 0.04s
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Taken August 2, 2011, patent mark on the back of the linoleum from the hotel. Deconstruction of the Nogal-Ping hotel and cabins in Eagle by Claude DeGraw began in 2010. Nogal's Hotel, built in 1892, was later purchased by the O. A. Ping family in 1923. It was occupied by siblings Leonard and Garnet Ping most recently. Leonard died in 1988 and Garnet moved to Gypsum in the late 1990s, passing away in 2003. It stands at the corner of Hwy 24 and...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Taken August 2, 2011, linoleum from the hotel. Deconstruction of the Nogal-Ping hotel and cabins in Eagle by Claude DeGraw began in 2010. Nogal's Hotel, built in 1892, was later purchased by the O. A. Ping family in 1923. It was occupied by siblings Leonard and Garnet Ping most recently. Leonard died in 1988 and Garnet moved to Gypsum in the late 1990s, passing away in 2003. It stands at the corner of Hwy 24 and Capitol Streets and was the town's...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Caption: "All the kids at Holy Cross City. Lionel's [Azoulay] house in background. Mica. Summer 1949" The Knight-Azoulay children playing on a boulder near the Azoulay house in Holy Cross City.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"This sturdy built homestead cabin two miles north east of Volcano was put up by Frank Zupon, a semi-recluse, who made it his home from 1920 to 1936." -- McCoy Memoirs, p.306 [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Taken August 2, 2011, newspaper and linoleum debris from the hotel. Deconstruction of the Nogal-Ping hotel and cabins in Eagle by Claude DeGraw began in 2010. Nogal's Hotel, built in 1892, was later purchased by the O. A. Ping family in 1923. It was occupied by siblings Leonard and Garnet Ping most recently. Leonard died in 1988 and Garnet moved to Gypsum in the late 1990s, passing away in 2003. It stands at the corner of Hwy 24 and Capitol Streets...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Monica Heeren Barnes holding son, Boyd Barnes, born July 5, 1920. They are in the cabin door on Castle, the original homestead. She was born in 1899 in Whiting, Iowa. She was helping her cousin on a ranch in South Dakota when she met Guy T. Barnes, working as a herdsman. They married and moved to Eagle, Colorado, where Mr. Barnes was employed by Andrew Christiansen. "While living in a cabin owned by Mr. Christainsen, Guy and Monica Barnes began...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Taken August 2, 2011, linoleum from the hotel. Deconstruction of the Nogal-Ping hotel and cabins in Eagle by Claude DeGraw began in 2010. Nogal's Hotel, built in 1892, was later purchased by the O. A. Ping family in 1923. It was occupied by siblings Leonard and Garnet Ping most recently. Leonard died in 1988 and Garnet moved to Gypsum in the late 1990s, passing away in 2003. It stands at the corner of Hwy 24 and Capitol Streets and was the town's...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The remains of John Dubach's cabin in Upper Town of Fulford, Colorado. Photo was taken in July of 1966
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Ski tow warming house located across from the tow on the Whittaker Ranch. It was built at the same time the ski tow was put in. Gordon Whittaker had it built; Purley Bertrock may have been the actual builder. The original roof was flatter.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Darrell Barnes and Guy Barnes in the lettuce patch at the Castle homestead. The cabin is visible in the background. "Grass and sage brush were cleared from a large area not far from the cabin and the cleared land was planted to make a lettuce field. Barnes was able to sell the lettuce crop by hauling it to town in a wagon pulled by horses. The lettuce was loaded into a railroad car and shipped to market. It was packed in ice to keep it fresh and...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Lucksinger's house in Basalt, Colorado. From the Basalt Regional Heritage Society Walking Tour: "Luchsinger Half-Way House. In 1885 Gabe and Julia Sneider Luchsinger arrived in Frying Pan Junction (Basalt). Gabe was an enthusiastic fisherman and along with his brothers Ottomar, Gabriel, Marcus and Jacob, would catach fish and take them in gunny sacks to Aspen to sell. In addition to their fishing, Gabriel and Julia ran a dairy ranch and in 1887...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The Buffington cabin, Brush Creek, 1979, showing log structure with planed wood roofing. The Buffington and Newquist families were neighbors.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Taken August 2, 2011, newspaper found in the hotel, featuring the Washington Nationals [1924]. Deconstruction of the Nogal-Ping hotel and cabins in Eagle by Claude DeGraw began in 2010. Nogal's Hotel, built in 1892, was later purchased by the O. A. Ping family in 1923. It was occupied by siblings Leonard and Garnet Ping most recently. Leonard died in 1988 and Garnet moved to Gypsum in the late 1990s, passing away in 2003. It stands at the corner...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Cabin belonging to Charles Fredrick Eichaker at the mineral mill at Cross Creek. The Knight and Beck familes used the cabin at various points in time. "Even had an outhouse"--Angela Beck. [information from Buster Beck] Bill Burnett mentions Charlie Eyacher [sic.] in The Eagle on Battle Mountain at Gilman, Colorado and My Life as I Remember, although Bill locates the cabin at Fall Creek p.7: "Old Charlie had a house on the far side, eastside,...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Virgil Newquist and Herman Newquist (on right) standing in front of a Herman's jeep at the Watkins cabin, Brush Creek, 1979. Herman was Virgil's older brother.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
One of the 13 cabins built by a man from Chicago by the name of Kenner who came to the Burns area each summer in the 1890's. The place was known as "Thirteen." The log cabin has a very ornate window and a sod roof. "Thirteen" was bought by Frank Benton in 1907. Mr. Benton took the windows and built them into his frame house, still on the ranch in Burns. [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Camping scene at Deep Lake cabins in 1905. [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Detail of the joinery, chinking and window/door frame construction in an abandoned cabin [negative found in envelope labeled "Pando."]. Woodwork around door and window frames is painted blue. [Film scanned to produce digital image January 2009]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
MacDonald Knight standing on trailer attached to his jeep. He's looking at lumber in front of an abandoned cabin at Holy Cross City. There are wildflowers in the foreground. "The one picture of Don Knight's jeep shows some boards. Buster [Beck] said there was two piles of boards on this side of Francy Pass. Why & from where he does not know. SInce they are on this side of Fancy Pass he is sure they did not come from the saw mill at Cross Creek."...