Showing 1 - 12 of 12 , query time: 0.03s
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"The Horn ranch house on Rock Creek, two and one half miles above McCoy, as it was in 1917. Homesteaders Alvin Hart and Rooks built the cabin with the fireplace, the rest was added on by the Horns. The low building on the right was the kitchen, the two story addition had two bedrooms upstairs and the ground floor was the living room, the fireplace room served as a bunkhouse for ranch hands. Shortly after Arthur Horn's death, Mrs. Horn had that...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"A 1941 photo of Leon Kirby and his six sons, Kenneth, Howard, Harold, Ronald, Ferris and Keith." -- McCoy Memoirs p.187 [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"Tom Wohler standing in front of his barn in 1912. The Wohler ranch had a first class set of ranch buildings and fences that Tom kept in good repair until a year or so before he passed away." -- McCoy Memoirs, p. 131 "Fritz, Tom and Sarah Wohler came to Colorado from Pennsylvania in 1876 and settled at Leadville for 18 years. Tom was shift boss at the Johnny Mine and Sarah had a dress shop. They were married in Leadville in 1883. In 1895 Tom and...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Looking north from McCoy Lane, with Rock Creek flowing through the tree line in the background. There are several log buildings, including a barn at midground. In front of the barn is a root cellar in the embankment. [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Jake Stull barn on the Colorado River Road, built in 1905.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The horse barn on the Charles B. McCoy ranch, photographed in 1970 by John Ambos. [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"The McCoy lane looking west. This 1912 photo [says 1911 on verso of photo] shows the front part of the Hotel on the left, [on the right] the blacksmith shop, the big red barn and the front of the old log barn and beyond it, the bridge across Rock Creek. The big barn, approximately fifty by sixty feet in size, was of frame construction and built by C. H. McCoy in 1902. It had stalls for twenty horses and a loft that held ten tons of loose hay....
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"In some respects similar to the preceeding picture [1992.004A.084], but taken about 1924. Trees obstruct a view of the Hotel and several buildings in back of it that haver never shown in any of the many photographs of McCoy. The little building in the foreground has served as living quarters for a number of people in past years, but is presently the McCoy Post Office. The small white building on the left was built by the Brooks Brothers in 1914....
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"Charley McCoy's Upper Place in 1930.The original log house was destroyed by fire in 1927 or 1928 and the frame house was built shortly afterwards. This picture shows some of Charley McCoy's top grade of cattle. Besides the cattle and the one saddle horse, at least seven men and boys are visible just to the left of the barn some of whom were probably members of the Dutch Laman family who were living on the ranch at that time." -- McCoy Memoirs p.108 [Title...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
"Another old time building on the Stifel place made of cottonwood and cedar logs. It's anyone's guess what it was built for." -- McCoy Memoirs p.163 [Title supplied from catalog prepared by the Eagle County Historical Society.]
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Same as 1992.004A.084; p.95 of John Ambos' McCoy Memoirs Former main road that passed in front of the McCoy Hotel, crossed Rock Creek, and continued along the Colorado River towards Burns. Wagon and buggy teams are tied up at the fencing Several people are standing, one is seated on a horse. Barn and resort are visible as are the bridge supports crossing over the creek. Road continues in the right background. [Title supplied from catalog prepared...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The John Ambos Ranch on Congor Mesa in the foreground with the Martin Schomers Ranch in the background. Martin Schomers was among the last to homestead on the Congor Mesa. "Schomers died of tick fever in May of 1940 after being ill only a short time. The children fell heir to his property but since two were still minors, the estate was not settled until 1944. During the intervening time Darrell Ray, who was married to Helen Schomers in 1939, operated...