Showing 1 - 20 of 90 , query time: 0.03s
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows – during a statewide convention – parade up F Street October 15, 1894, preceded by dignitaries in carriages and followed by one of Salida’s marching bands. Six years after the disastrous 1888 fire, there appears to be construction work in the lot on the corner of Second and F Streets where the Knights of Pythias building stands today. Alger’s Drug Store is in the J. H. Collins building (with the large awning)...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
A group of women lead a procession of what looks to be a funeral train on F Street in Salida, Colorado. Bob Rush Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The 40 & 8 Band passing by the First National Bank on F Street. The titles and symbols of the Forty & Eight reflect its First World War origins. Americans were transported to the battle front on French trains within boxcars stenciled with a “40/8”, denoting its capacity to hold either forty men or eight horses. This uncomfortable mode of transportation was familiar to all who fought in the trenches; a common small misery among American soldiers...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Celebrating the 4th of July in Salida, Colorado at F and 3rd Streets. Image taken by John Kratky. Josephine Soukup Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The India Grill was located on the corner of F and 1st Streets in downtown Salida, Colorado. Bob Rush Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
This group of men in downtown Salida may have been members of the traveling troupe Uncle Tom’s Cabin Company, which performed shows based on Stowe’s novel and traveled across the country in the early 20th century. The show featured jubilee dancers, Shetland ponies, military bands and cake walkers and generally ended with a street parade. This photo is taken on North F Street. Bob Rush Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
An I.O.O.F. Parade marching up F Street in Salida, Colorado. Bob Rush Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Francis Haley King, on the left side of the buggy seat, and her unidentified companion, won second place in the children’s float contest for their entry in the July 4 parade. The decorations seem to have held together remarkably well considering the parade route ran 12 blocks up F Street, turned right on Twelfth before returning to First Street on G. It was touted then as the longest parade in Salida history. Haley-Bratton Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
In 1883, Salida (no longer South Arkansas) was growing in three directions from the river. The Craig Opera House is at the corner of Second and F Streets and the Presbyterian Church, the first designed for religious services, is a little white frame building at the corner of Third and F Streets. A few days after this photo was taken in mid-May, the F Street bridge was seriously damaged by normal spring runoff when two sections were ripped from the...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Peter Mulvany presumably among the ruins of the Big Fire, Jan. 2, 1888. Peter Mulvany’s hotel burned to the ground, and fire took out buildings a half a block in every direction. This photo is looking towards the west. The Hot Springs Livery (visible back left) was based at 2nd and G Streets. Bob Rush Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
One of the many parades that were held in Salida, Colorado. Bob Rush Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The Central Block building which was located on the southwest corner of 1st and F Streets in Salida, Colorado. 'Another important building, completed on the opposite corner of First Street at 102-24 F Street, apparently incorporated sections of buildings that survived the fire. Known as the Corbin Building or the Central Block, the building was erected by E.W. Corbin, William E. Robertson, and W.W. Roller. On 17 December...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
A panoramic view of F and 2nd Streets in Salida, Colorado. First National Bank, Commercial National Bank, C.N. Francis Clothing, and Waggener's Pharmacy are visible. Bob Rush Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
An I.O.O.F. Parade taken at 3rd and F Streets in Salida, Colorado. Bob Rush Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
A photo taken after the January 2, 1886 fire that devastated downtown Salida. Fire destroyed nine of Peter Mulvany's buildings on 1st and G Streets, along with all of the contents. Mulvany quickly rebuilt a new grocery store and warehouses. Bob Rush Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
4th of July celebration on F Street in Salida, Colorado. Josephine Soukup Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The Leonora 5 cent to $1 Store was active in the 1930s. It was located at 132 F Street. Bob Rush Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Celebrating the 4th of July in Salida, Colorado at F and 3rd Streets. Image taken by John Kratky. Josephine Soukup Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The First National Bank was located on the corner of F and 2nd Streets in Salida, Colorado. Bob Rush Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The Palace Hotel, a $20,000 three-story brick building designed by Charles J. Anderson and owned by Ambrose Ramsey, was built at 204 N. F Street during 1906-09. Distinctive features of the building’s façade were a heavily ornamented parapet with stone trim, corbelling, and half-round and rectangular inset panels with textured stucco, thick rock-faced stone lintel courses and narrow stone sill courses, paired...