Showing 1 - 20 of 177 , query time: 0.03s
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Tenderfoot Mountain behind the roundhouse, prior to the 1892 fire. Alice Chinn Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Although damaged and vandalized, pillars supporting the roof over the grave of Duke remained in place in the early 1920s when this trio of young Salida women (Nina Churcher (Thompson) on right) visited the monument on their way to a picnic at the Crater, a popular Sunday hiking destination. Frank Thomson Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Major fires, two years apart spurred Salidans into a spate of brick construction that eventually saved the town from more devastating damage. A couple of brick yards were in operation before the 1886 fire, but within a year after the 1888 conflagration, there were at least four in production. Clay, sand and water are stirred into a stiff mud before it is packed into molds. It was repetitive, back-wrenching work, but it was lucrative for many years. The...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Date corresponds with the death of Albert Edmund Hanks. This scene is inside the Methodist – Episcopal Church, the second building of three at the present location. The present building was erected in 1899, the first being demolished in 1888. Photo is marked “to Jesse Hanks” August 15, 1898. Salida Museum Association Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Photograph of unidentified family: mother and father and two young children. Janice Pennington Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The 20-stall standard-gauge roundhouse was constructed in 1900, east of the narrow-gauge roundhouse. By the date of this photograph, August 1, 1923, a new eight-stall roundhouse addition was being constructed as a separate building; however it shared the 100-foot turntable with the original standard-gauge roundhouse. The 100-foot turntable replaced the original 80-foot turntable in 1917. Forms were set up to pour concrete for locomotive service pits,...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Denver & Rio Grande locomotive No. 83 was in use here as a switch engine, and was posed on the mainline, with the rebuilt machine shop behind. Notice the front and rear arc headlamps in use on this Baldwin engine, the last Class 56 narrow-gauge 2-8-0 to be built, having entered service in 1881. The engine’s pilot truck had been removed, which converted No. 83 into an 0-8-0. Alice Chinn Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Oxford's Market on Highway 50 in Salida, Colorado. Harry Williams Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows – during a statewide convention – parade up F Street October 15, 1894, preceded by dignitaries in carriages and followed by one of Salida’s marching bands. Six years after the disastrous 1888 fire, there appears to be construction work in the lot on the corner of Second and F Streets where the Knights of Pythias building stands today. Alger’s Drug Store is in the J. H. Collins building (with the large awning)...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
A patron of the Salida Building and Loan paid off a mortgage with this wheelbarrow load of silver dollars. Building and Loan officers (J. Ford White, C. H. Kelleher, President, Theo. M. Jacobs, Alice Chinn, Secretary/Treasurer) are shown on the way to deposit the silver dollars at First National Bank. Alice Chinn Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Mary, Helen, and Alberta Hanks. Haley-Bratton Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The Denver & Rio Grande Railroad stone depot was built in 1880. Although preparations began a year earlier, the third rail was laid through Salida during 1890. Addition of the outside rail allowed standard gauge as well as narrow gauge trains to operate over the entire Rio Grande system. Switches, frogs and rerailers – especially in the crowded Salida yards – were an engineering marvel. As late as 1890, the tender of this switcher is fitted with...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
A photograph of Salida taken on Tenderfoot Mountain after 1890. Ernest Brownson Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad in the Royal Gorge, ca. 1920. Leonard Perschbacher Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Portrait of unknown man. Haley-Bratton Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Picture Postcard addressed to: Mr. R G Ellis 921 Kalamath St. Denver Colo Feb 27-18 Hello, Bob, letter received this morning this is the way Monarch looks only it is worse snowing and blowing fierce and a good place to stay away from. What hospital is Myrtle at and why don’t you go to Morrison and see who is left up there also run out and see Arthur at Louises. Will write later–tell Babe Hello.
 M.T. 
Don’t think it is ever going...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Despite a schedule that included overseeing construction of the big Ohio and Colorado smokestack in 1917, getting married, and being promoted to superintendent at the smelter, Arthur Theodore Thompson (in the chair at the right) took time for a shave and a haircut at Manful’s Barbershop at 109 F Street in Salida. Frank Thomson Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Trees on Tenderfoot Mountain are alive and well when this photograph was taken March 20, 1895. They began dying shortly after the smelter opened – upwind – in 1902, and by 1917 there were almost none left. Two foot paths up the mountain were used by hundreds of visitors who wanted to get a view of the city while they waited to change trains. The mountain was a favorite picnic spot for locals as well. The Denver & Rio Grande Depot, F Street...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Denver & Rio Grande Western Panoramic Special, ca. 1920. Leonard Perschbacher Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Construction of the backshop and roundhouse, dated August 28, 1923. Harry Williams Collection.