Showing 1 - 19 of 19 , query time: 0.02s
Cover Image
Format:
Image
This is 309 W. 1st Street. W.S. Edwards Wholesale Liquor was later a Coca-Cola bottling company. This image is from the Bob Rush Photo Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Built after 1890, the J.M. Collins building at the corner of West Second and F Streets was one of the most impressive in the downtown district. The two segments at the right were razed in the 1980s to make room for a parking lot. This image is from the Salida Centennial Photo Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Wet mortar, a trowel and unfinished brick-work in the foreground show the last stage of construction November 14, 1917. Southwest of the new stack is the old stack continuing to spew smoke over the valley. It was torn down a short time after the new smokestack was completed. The view from 365 feet up gives a good idea of the layout of D&RG and company rails. This image is from the Salida Centennial Photo Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
For about 29 months, the 365-foot smokestack did the job for which it was intended, but financial hard times forced the company to close in 1920. The short 85-foot stack beside the tall one was razed in the late 1920’s to provide brick for at least a couple of homes in Salida. This image is from the Salida Centennial Photo Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The Red Cross Hospital on the northeast corner of 3rd and G Streets. This building no longer has a second floor. This image is from the Bob Rush Photo Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The Salida Lumber Company was located at 200 G Street in Salida, Colorado. This image is from the Bob Rush Photo Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Four stories capped with a corner tower made the St. Clair Hotel the tallest building in Salida when it opened for business June 6, 1890, and there are still none that equal or exceed it. The building, located on the northeast corner of First and E Streets, was 75-by-90 feet, included 68 sleeping rooms (many with their own bathrooms) and had a balcony on two sides. There was a fine dining room. Construction cost $45,000, in addition to $8,000 in oak...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
In 1888, Albert Edmund Hanks erected what was described as "a commodious two-story eight room frame residence" on this site at a cost of $1,500. Mr. Hanks, born in 1847 in Connecticut, married Mary E. Harvey, a childhood friend. The couple had seven children. The family moved to Colorado due to a decline in Albert's health, and after spending much of two years "in camp," they settled in Salida in 1885. Here Mr. Hanks engaged in a lumber business located...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The view from the top of the 365-foot stack at Smeltertown. This image is from the Salida Centennial Photo Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
This is 117 W. 2nd Street in Salida. The current location is in the parking lot of Pueblo Bank and Trust and was probably the place of business of William W. Roller, whose specialty included real estate, rental properties, and loans. This image is from the Bob Rush Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The Central Block building which was located on the southwest corner of 1st and F Streets in Salida, Colorado. 'Another important building, completed on the opposite corner of First Street at 102-24 F Street, apparently incorporated sections of buildings that survived the fire. Known as the Corbin Building or the Central Block, the building was erected by E.W. Corbin, William E. Robertson, and W.W. Roller. On 17 December 1886, the Salida Semi-Weekly...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
First Presbyterian Church, on the northwest corner of F and 3rd Streets. This building is no longer standing. This image is from the Anonymous Photo Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
This is the H Street School, which was built in the western part of town between Seventh and Eighth streets. Completed in 1892, the $20,000 structure housed the Salida Public High School on the second floor until 1910. Elementary classrooms were located in the partial basement and on the first floor. In 1920, the school was renamed “Longfellow,” after the American poet. After the present elementary school was constructed in 1957, the historic...
Cover Image
Format:
Image
A panoramic shot of F and 2nd Streets in Salida, Colorado. The First National Bank is visible on the southeast corner, the J.M. Collins building is on the southwest corner, the C.N. Francis Clothing store is on the northwest corner, and Waggener's Pharmacy is on the northeast corner. This image is from the Bob Rush Photo Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
This is Oxford's Market on Highway 50. This image is from the Salida Centennial Photo Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
First National Bank was located on the southwest corner of 2nd and F Streets in Salida, Colorado. This image is from the Bob Rush Photo Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
The Coca-Cola Bottling Company in Salida, Colorado. This was W.S. Edwards Wholesale Liquor previously. This image is from the Bob Rush Photo Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Vaughn's Feed Store was located at 126 G Street in Salida, Colorado. This image is from the Bob Rush Photo Collection.
Cover Image
Format:
Image
Bert & Tom's Modern Cottages were located at the corner of Highways 291 and 50 in Salida, Colorado. This image is from the Bob Rush Collection.